Last Updated on February 19, 2024 by Rick Spiegel
It is never pleasant to search for a flight in the wake of the unexpected demise of a family member or any family emergency. This not only leads to struggling with grief but also makes it difficult to find affordable flight tickets to reach the destination.
However, there are various top airlines that understand the situation of flyers and support them. There are several airlines that offer bereavement fares to passengers who are traveling due to family emergencies including death and severe illness of their close family member.
However, there are some different eligibility criteria of different airlines that need to be fulfilled in order to get bereavement fares. In this guide, we have covered some top airlines that offer bereavement fares to passengers traveling to attend the funeral of their family members
So, in this guide, we have covered every important detail regarding the bereavement fares of different airlines, their importance, eligibility criteria, and much more. If you are interested in knowing more about these fares, then make sure to read this guide till the end.
- What is Bereavement Fares?
- Eligible Immediate Family Members for Bereavement Fares
- Which Airlines Offer the Best Bereavement Fares?
- International Airlines that Does Not Offer Bereavement Fares
- Do Airlines Permit Family Members to Reserve Bereavement Fares Flights Together?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How much cheaper are bereavement fares flights?
- Does Southwest offer bereavement fares?
- Which is the best airline that offers bereavement fares?
- Does American Airlines have a bereavement fare?
- Does JetBlue give a discount for death in the family?
- How do bereavement flights work?
- Does Lufthansa have a bereavement policy?
- Does Air France offer bereavement fares?
- Can I get a refund flight for the death in the family?
- Does Frontier offer bereavement fares?
Bereavement fares refer to the special discounted fares that are offered by airlines to flyers traveling due to the imminent death or death of a family member. The bereavement airfares are usually lower than the regular fares and are designed to help ease the financial burden of travel during a difficult time.
In addition, the eligibility criteria for the bereavement fares can vary according to the airline. Generally, it includes close friends or relatives who need to travel to attend the funeral or provide support to the family.
The importance of bereavement flights cannot be overstated. The family members are required to travel long distances in a very short period of time when someone dies or is seriously ill. So, being able to attend a funeral or to visit a seriously ill family member can be an essential part of a grieving process. It can also provide much-needed support and comfort to the person who is unwell or to the family members who are grieving.
Moreover, this can be an expensive as well as stressful situation, and the airfares can be a significant financial burden for various airlines. Additionally, to provide financial assistance, bereavement airfares provide families with emotional support. Therefore, these fares help in lowering the stress.
Most of the airlines offer bereavement fares only to immediate family members. So, here is a list of those folks who are considered as immediate family members by most of the airlines:
- A spouse or domestic partner
- A parent (mother, father, stepmother, or stepfather)
- A child or stepchild
- Siblings (brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister, stepbrother, or stepsister)
- A niece or nephew
- An aunt or uncle
- Grandparents (grandmother, grandfather, step-grandparent)
- A grandchild (granddaughter, grandson, step-grandchild, or great-grandchild)
- In-laws (mother-in-law, father-in-law, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law)
Note: This reduced rate is not applicable to in-law relatives or cousins.
Which Airlines Offer the Best Bereavement Fares?
If the traveler has experienced the death of their loved one, then they will need last minute flight ticket to attend a funeral. Here is a list of airlines that offer bereavement fares to their passengers.
According to the bereavement fare policy of Air Canada:
- This policy applies to immediate Family Members
- Bereavement travel that occurs within 10 days of flight reservation and that does not exceed 60 days.
- It is open for Economy Basic fares while traveling outside North America and in Economy Standard, Flex, comfort, and Latitude fares
- Travelers can make bookings on flights operated and marketed by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, and Air Canada Rouge, along with the flights operated by codeshare partners
Air Canada’s bereavement policy does not apply to:
- Passengers traveling in the Economy Basic fares within North America.
- Also, if the request for the bereavement consideration once the travel has been completed.
Delta Airlines is also another airline that offers bereavement fares to its passengers. Here are some important points that you must know about the Bereavement fare policy:
- As per Delta Airlines policy, the fare offered under the bereavement policy can vary in price. Also, the additional flexibility may be beneficial to accommodate unexpected changes in your travel plans.
- Passengers can apply for the bereavement fares by sending a message via the ‘Message Us’ button on the Delta Airlines Help Center page.
- However, travelers cannot purchase the bereavement fares on the Delta Airlines official website.
- Tickets purchased under the Bereavement policy are subject to availability. Hence, they might not be available at the time of flight reservation.
- The Bereavement fare policy offers flexibility to the outbound and/or return portion of your trip by waiving service fees. However, the fare difference may apply.
The bereavement fares program is valid for SkyMiles members who need to travel due to any imminent death or death of an immediate family member. So, if the flyer is not currently a SkyMiles member, then they must enroll them immediately to qualify for this program.
Here is a list of documentation required for purchasing bereavement fares on Delta Airlines:
- Name of the deceased person
- Flyer’s relationship with the deceased person
- Name and phone number of the hospital, and funeral home
- Name of the doctor (if applicable)
- To get the bereavement fare, you’ll need to provide documentation such as a death certificate.
- According to the Alaska Airlines bereavement policy, if you need to travel within the next 7 days due to the demise of your immediate family member, then you may be eligible for a 10% discount off the lowest available fare on the desired flight.
- Also, this discount rate is only available when purchasing the flight ticket via phone.
- You can call the Reservation and customer service team at 1-800-252-7522 to receive the reduced rate fare.
Here are the important rules that you must be aware of regarding the Alaska Airlines bereavement fare:
- If you are traveling due to the death of an immediate family member, then you are eligible for a reduced rate fare.
- However, this redacted rate is not intended for emergency or medical travel.
- Also, this discount is applicable on Alaska Airlines, and flights that are operated on behalf of Alaska by Horizon or SkyWest.
- Travelers over the age of 18 must be the Mileage Plan member and have their Mileage Plan numbers added to their flight booking with Alaska Airlines.
- Passengers should contact the airline executives to get a fare discount on purchasing new flight tickets.
- Moreover, all rules related to the fares are applicable, including the Saver fare restrictions.
- Furthermore, all fees related to the fare are applicable as well.
- In addition, the fare discounts cannot be combined with any other promotional discounts like Money & Miles, government fares, companion fares, and military fares.
WestJet offers bereavement fares to those passengers who are experiencing major illness or an imminent death in their family.
- It can only be booked by contacting Westjet Airlines by phone.
- It requires some additional general information at the time of booking, including the reason for travel and the relationship between the guest traveling and the deceased.
- These are available on WestJet Econo and EconoFlex fares only. Not eligible for Basic, Member Exclusive, Premium, and Business fares.
- The bereavement fares do not include travel on partner airlines.
- Travelers must have a WestJet Rewards account.
- According to the rules of Westjet bereavement fares, travel must be completed within 30 days when the flight was reserved including return and outbound flights.
- Westjet Airlines does not allow bereavement fares to be combined with any promotional offers, other discount codes, or companion voucher bookings.
- Guests can request post-travel bereavement fares using this form.
- Hawaiian Airlines offers bereavement fares only for the Neighbour Island travel between the Hawaiian Islands.
- However, the airline does not offer bereavement fares for passengers for urgent travel to or from cities outside Hawaii, including North American and International routes.
- Additionally, if you are required to purchase a flight ticket within 48 hours, then Hawaiian Airlines will waive the applicable ticket fee for tickets booked over the phone call.
Note – If you wish to cancel or change an existing reservation due to bereavement, then the airline can assist you with a change fee waiver or a refund.
There are various airlines that don’t offer bereavement fares to their passengers. So, here is a list of a few airlines, in which you’ll not get the bereavement airfare facility:
- Sun Country Airlines
- Spirit Airlines
- Frontier Airlines
- American Airlines
- Allegiant Air
- Southwest Airlines
So, all the above-mentioned airlines are those airlines, that do not provide bereavement fares. However, you might get a discount if you are required to travel due to severe illness or the death of a family member.
- If you have booked a bereavement fare flight, then it is obvious to travel as a group with other family members.
- So, if you are traveling with your family members, then you can reserve several flight tickets under bereavement fares flight at once.
- The bereavement fares flight tickets can be booked by contacting the airline representatives directly. The agent will reserve the flight tickets for you on your behalf.
- In addition, there is a possibility that the airline executive might not be able to book the flight for all the travelers on a single flight. In such case, you must check if there is any flight available on the same day in which you can reserve the flight for all the members.
In times of grief, most airlines offer cheaper bereavement flights so that you can reach your destination on time. So, if you have booked your bereavement fares flight, then it will cost you approximately 10 to 20% less than other airfares. However, additional fees such as local taxes may apply.
No, Southwest Airlines does not offer bereavement fares or emergency fares to its passengers. So, if there is a severe illness or death of a family member, then you must reserve a flight on any other airline.
There are various airlines that offer bereavement fares. These airlines are Air Canada, Delta Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, and many more. So, you can select any of the airlines as per your preference to book a bereavement fare flight.
No, American Airlines does not offer any emergency or bereavement fares to its flyers. However, there are other several airlines that offer this fare flights. So, you can select those airlines to reserve a bereavement fares flight.
No, JetBlue Airlines does not offer discounts on flight bookings to passengers in case of any death in the family. However, this airline already offers the fares at discounted prices. So, that’s why JetBlue does not provide discounts for situations like bereavement, age, disability, or clergy.
Bereavement fares are those fares that are offered to the immediate family members who are going to attend the funeral of a family member or escort a body on a flight. So, if that’s the case, then you can ask the airline to book a bereavement fares flight ticket for you and other family members.
Yes, Lufthansa Airlines has a bereavement policy. According to this policy, the airline offers bereavement flights to immediate family members such as parents, spouses, children, and siblings. However, to purchase the bereavement fares on Lufthansa Airlines, you must provide your identity proof and your relationship with the person who died.
No, Air France does not offer any bereavement fares for the death or imminent death of a family member. So, that’s why you must go with another airline that offers special fares in case of the death of a family member.
Yes, you can get a flight refund if there is a case of death of a family member. Most airlines permit passengers to cancel and waive cancellation fees as well. However, if the traveler is exchanging their ticket for future travel, in such a situation, the flyer needs to pay the fare difference to the airline.
Frontier Airlines is a low-cost airline. Hence to keep the flight tickets economical, it does not offer any bereavement tickets to the passengers. Similarly, other low-cost airlines such as Spirit and JetBlue do not offer bereavement.