Last Updated on November 21, 2023 by Rick Spiegel
There may be times when you have booked a flight, and then canceled it due to some reasons, mainly because of flight delay, or flight cancellation, or even due to some personal reasons. In these circumstances, travelers can request a refund. American Airlines provides a refund in the original form of payment or as flight credits. These flight credits are valid for one year from the date of issue. But, how to Redeed American Airlines Flight Credit?
We will discuss how travelers can utilize their flight credits. But, before that, we have to learn the rules and limitations around the American Airlines Flight Credit.
American Airlines Flight Credit – Rules and Limitations
- American Airlines mainly provides flight credit for unused or canceled flight tickets issued by AA. Passengers must cancel the ticket before the flight departure in order to receive the flight credit.
- This compensation differs from trip credits because flight credits can usually be used for the passenger whose name was on the original ticket only.
- Flight credits cannot be used to book extra seats or baggage allowance fees. It should only be used to book a flight.
- The flight credits can be redeemed for only non-award bookings on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagles.
- The flight credit can be used to pay for the initial reservation, the basic airfare, and any applicable taxes, fees, and charges that are directly related to the fare computation.
- Travelers can redeem one flight credit for a single passenger at a time. However, if they want to redeem two flight credits for a single booking, they can call the AA.
- The American Airlines flight credit can only be used for 1 year from the date of issue of the ticket, otherwise, it will expire. The AA will not extend the validity period of the flight credit.
- American Airlines Flight Credits are non-transferrable,non-returnable, and non-refundable.
- The flight credits are not redeemable for cash, check, or credit.
- American Airlines will void the flight credits that are up for sale.
- Also, American Airlines does not replace the flight credits if it stolen or lost. Thus, travelers must protect the email containing the flight credits.
How to Find and Redeem American Airlines Flight Credit?
Travelers can redeem their AA flight credit via the official website, calling the reservation department, or at the airport.
To use the American Airlines flight credit is pretty straightforward. Here is the online steps to help you make the most of it:
- Log in to the American Airlines account on their official website or through the mobile app.
- Click on the “Manage Reservations” or “My Trips” section.
- Now, select the “View Canceled Trips” option.
- Enter the trip details. It will fetch your trip.
- Look for any available flight credits associated with your account. This could majorly be from a canceled or changed flight.
Check the expiration date of the flight credit. Most credits have a limited validity period which is up to one year from the date of issue. The passengers should understand if any restrictions or conditions attached to the credit, such as being applicable only for certain types of flights or within a specific region.
The passengers should use the American Airlines website to search for the desired flight. The travel credits can be only redeemed on AA flights. They can simply enter the departure and destination airports, travel dates, and other relevant details.
- While booking the flights, the passengers will reach a step where they can review and pay for the flight.
- They should look for the option to use their flight credit. This is typically presented as a payment method alongside credit cards.
- Enter the ticket number of your canceled trip and apply the credits.
- If your flight credit doesn’t cover the entire cost of the new booking, you will likely need to pay the difference using another payment method.
Before finalizing the booking, review the details to ensure that the flight credit has been applied correctly.
Confirm the booking, and you should receive a confirmation email with the updated details of your flight.
If there are some unavoidable situations like if the flight is rescheduled by more than four hours if the passenger is ill if the passenger dies or if there is some military order, the refund of the travel ticket by American Airlines is done in the form of travel credit.
The three types of travel credits offered by American Airlines are – trip credits, flight credits, and trip vouchers.
These travel credits which are offered by American Airlines in the form of a refund can be utilized and used by travelers for their next flights and can even be used to book a flight for some other passenger.
- Basically, refunds plus the flight credits that are remaining can be utilized to create trip credits.
- Trip credits expire within one year and can be used both for domestic or international paid flights having a US origin.
- Travelers can use up to eight trip credits for a booking containing a maximum of 9 passengers.
- Flyers can redeem trip credits only via AA.com or by contacting reservations. They cannot redeem it through any other channels.
- Trip Credits are non-returnable, non-refundable, and non-transferable.
- Flyers with trip credits can book tickets for themselves or others.
- AA Trip Credits cannot be used for separate services such as baggage purchase or seat selection.
- American Airlines only accepts paper or electronic travel vouchers.
- eVouchers are generated for US passengers only and it is redeemable for flight booking only.
- These vouchers are non-returnable, non-refundable, and non-transferable.
- eVouchers are valid for 1 year from the date of issue.
- Passengers can redeem travel vouchers on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle, and OneWorld partners.
- In a single transaction, travelers can use up to 8 travel vouchers.
- Any flight origination outside of the US, Puerto Rico, or the US Virgin Islands is not eligible for eVoucher redemption.
- Travelers can use American Airlines travel vouchers through AA.com or via calling the airline.
- Currently, Travel vouchers that were due to expire between January 1, 2022, and May 31, 2022, were automatically extended until March 31, 2023.
Advantages of American Airlines Flight Credit
Flying with American Airlines comes with its perks, and one of the often-overlooked advantages is the flight credit system. Whether you’ve experienced a change in plans or faced unforeseen circumstances, American Airlines flight credit offers flexibility and value.
With American Airlines flight credit, you have the flexibility to reschedule your trip without the hassle of losing your hard-earned money. Whether it’s a sudden change in your itinerary or unexpected circumstances, your flight credit allows you to adjust your travel dates without incurring hefty change fees.
American Airlines has streamlined the process of redeeming your flight credit, making it a user-friendly experience. When you’re ready to book your next adventure, simply log into your account, and select the travel credit as payment option. Travelers can visit the airport counter and ask the executive to book a ticket using the flight credits. Also, flyers can redeem flight credits online via AA.com or through reservations.
American Airlines understands that life can get busy, and your travel plans might not align immediately. That’s why the flight credit comes with a generous validity period, giving you ample time to decide on your next destination. Check the terms and conditions, but in many cases, you have up to a year to redeem your American Airlines Flight Credit.
Call the American Airlines Customer Support
Calling the American Airlines phone number is another way to get help in the process of using American Airlines Flight Credits.
The flight credit on American Airlines is the virtual amount received by the passenger in their AAdvantage account upon voluntary or involuntary cancellation. The flight credits can be used by the passenger to book a flight operated by AA.
American Airlines flight credits are non-returnable, non-refundable, and non-transferable. AA does not accept flight credits that are sold or purchased.
No, AA flight credits cannot be used by anyone. It can be used by the passenger in whose name the flight credit was issued.
The passengers should make sure to check the flight credit and trip credit expiration dates. American Airlines won’t make exceptions if your credit expires.
To check the American Airlines flight credit, do the following steps:
- Go to the American Airlines website and log in to your AAdvantage account.
- Visit the “Manage Trip” section.
- Click on the flight credit balance.
If the passengers book a new flight whose price is more than the flight credit, you may need to pay the difference using another payment method. Travelers can use a credit card to pay the remaining balance. They can also call the AA to redeem their another flight credit for the same booking.
American Airlines flight credits are valid for up to one year from the date of issue of the original ticket or else stated on the ticket. Travelers have enough time to plan their new journey. American Airlines does not extend the validity of flight credit.
On American Airlines you can redeem one flight credit for a single passenger for one trip. They can use AA.com or go to the airport counter. However, if they want to redeem two flight credits, then they have to contact American Airlines Reservation.