Last Updated on November 16, 2023 by Rick Spiegel
Passengers prefer quick security checks at the airport. Thus, to make things easier they can apply for the TSA precheck program. However, it is not necessary for airlines to get information on your pre-check approvals. Therefore, you have to provide the TSA pre-check number at the time of booking to pass the security checks easily.
If passengers are traveling on American Airlines, then they may need to know how to add KTN while booking the ticket or later. When the passengers add KTN to American Airlines flight booking, it helps to quicken the airport security screening process as they can use TSA PreCheck lanes.
- TSA PreCheck is a facility offered by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) in the United States.
- Under the program, when travelers go through a complete background check, they receive a Known Traveler Number (KTN).
- The membership is valid for five years.
- TSA PreCheck application fee is $78.
- This facility is available for all fights that have their origin in the United States, American Airlines being one of them.
- It provides the facility to all eligible travelers to grab on and take advantage of expedited security screening at participating airports in the United States.
- With TSA PreCheck, the passengers can keep their shoes, belts, and light jackets on and can keep their laptops and liquids in their bags during the screening process, making their journey through security much faster and more convenient without any hassle.
If the passengers want to add KTN to their existing booking on American Airlines, then they can follow the steps below:
If the passengers are adding the KTN to an existing booking, they can log in through their account and locate the reservation. They can do this, by simply clicking on “My Trips” or a similar option.
Once the passenger has logged in through the account and reached their booking, they can easily see details of their upcoming flights.
- On the American Airlines website, you should navigate to the “Traveler Information” or “Travel Documents” section.
- Click on the add KTN option on the screen to add the TSA pre-check number.
- Add your Known Traveler Number in the designated field.
- The KTN is a 9-digit number that you receive when you’re approved for TSA PreCheck.
- Double-check that you’ve entered it correctly to ensure a seamless TSA PreCheck experience.
The passengers can review and cross-check the details to make sure all the information is accurate. Once you’ve added your KTN, save the changes or confirm the update.
After you have added your KTN, you can see “TSA PreCheck” or “Pre” on your boarding pass for eligible flights. This indicates that you’re eligible to use the TSA PreCheck lanes at the airport security checkpoint.
It will be the best practice to add the TSA pre-check number while making a flight booking.
The first and foremost step is to book a flight through American Airlines’ official website or through the American Airlines mobile app.
Enter the arrival and departure city, date, and number of passengers to find the flight. Select the flight you want to travel on.
Now, fill out all the details necessary to complete the booking. On the American Airlines booking page, travelers can find the KTN option under the “Passenger Details Section”. Enter the KTN number.
After entering all the relevant information, review the details. After that, click on the confirm booking button to proceed to the payment page.
The passengers need to cross-check and confirm that the TSA PreCheck status has been added to their flight booking. The passengers should find a TSA PreCheck indicator, an example being a “TSA PreCheck” or “PreCheck” on their boarding pass or within their booking details.
On the day of the flight departure, the passengers should make sure to bring the updated boarding pass. When you arrive at the airport, proceed to the TSA PreCheck security checkpoint, where you’ll enjoy expedited screening
Remember that not all American Airlines flights are eligible for TSA PreCheck, so the availability of this service may vary depending on your specific itinerary.
Once you’ve added your KTN to your American Airlines account, it should be saved for future bookings, making it even more convenient for your future travel.
- Firstly, log in to your American Airlines account.
- On the top, you can find the user name. Click on the name and select the “Edit Profile” option.
- Go to the Passenger Details section.
- After that, find the Know Traveler Number option.
- Enter the 9-digit number.
- Lastly, click on the update button.
Call the American Airlines Customer Support
Calling the American Airlines phone number is another way to get help in the process of adding KTN to American Airlines flight tickets.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
A Known Traveler Number (KTN) is a 9-digit number issued by some responsible as well as trusted organizations like TSA PreCheck, Global Entry, or NEXUS. When passengers add their KTN to their flight tickets, it allows them to access expedited security screening at airports in the United States.
You can get a KTN by applying and being approved for programs like TSA PreCheck, Global Entry, or NEXUS. Each program has its application process and requirements.
After adding the KTN to the American Airlines Flight booking, the passengers should receive a confirmation or see the KTN associated with the booking of the flight. They can also contact American Airlines customer service to confirm.
Yes, you can add a TSA PreCheck number to your existing booking also. You have to retrieve the booking through the American Airlines My Trips option and go to the passenger details section. Under that, you can enter the Known Traveler Number. You can also use the Kiosk machine at the airport or contact the AA agent.
Once you print the boarding pass, you can find the “TSA pre” written on it. It indicates that you can go to the TSA pre-check security lanes.
With the possession of KTN, there are chances of receiving TSA PreCheck, however, it is not guaranteed for every flight. TSA PreCheck eligibility can depend on various factors, including the airport, the airline, and security screening decisions made by TSA.
It’s best to add your KTN to your reservation before arriving at the airport. However, some airlines may allow you to add it at the airport, but it’s recommended to do it in advance for a smoother experience.
After going through the background checks and interview, the traveler will receive the KTN number. Under the TSA PreCheck program, the KTN number is valid for five years.