Last Updated on October 17, 2023 by Rick Spiegel
In terms of traveling, I prefer United Airlines most of the time. Recently, after booking a United Airlines flight for a known child I had to cancel that flight. Then I came to know about United Airlines cancellation policy and how to cancel a United flight.
Life happens and in some cases, you might want to cancel your united airlines’ booking. In this post, I’m going to share how I canceled my United flight and what are other ways of canceling a United flight. Also, I’m going to share the cancellation and important refund policies that you need to know.
- Steps to Cancel Your United Airlines Flights
- United Cancellation: Tickets You Can Cancel?
- United Airlines cancel a flight within 24 hours of booking
- United Airlines cancel flight after 24 hours
- Is there an option to cancel a United flight booked with miles?
- How to Request a Refund For a United Cancelled Flight?
- What is United Airlines Cancellation Policy?
- What are the united cancellation charges?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Steps to Cancel Your United Airlines Flights
If you are not sure how to cancel your United flights, don’t worry. Below I’ve shared the step-by-step instructions to cancel the United Airlines booking.
- Visit united.com
- Now click on my trips button.
- Enter your ticket confirmation number and your last name.
- Now click on the search button.
- From the top of the screen click on cancel flight.
- Click on confirm cancellation.
After confirmation select the method by which you want to get the amount for the canceled flight- travel credit if available then refund.
United Airlines Cancel Flight Through Phone Number
Many United passengers want to avoid the website procedure but want to cancel their United Airlines flight over call. Below I’ve shared how to cancel a United flight through a phone number.
- You can call on 1800–864-8331.
- Now request the agent to cancel your flight.
You can also contact the travel agent to cancel your United Airlines booking.
United Cancellation: Tickets You Can Cancel?
Many people want to know what happens when you cancel your United flight within 24 hours of booking or same-day cancellation. Many people want to what happens when you cancel a United flight after 24 hours of booking. Below I’ve shared a detailed guide on the types of tickets you can cancel.
United Airlines cancel a flight within 24 hours of booking
- Most of the types are fully refundable if you cancel your United flight within 24 hours of booking.
- You will get the refund amount as cashback in your account, this doesn’t apply if you book your ticket using the United gift certificate.
- If you book the ticket using an e-certificate then you won’t get a refund.
- If payment is done using the farelock fee, then you are not eligible for a refund.
United Airlines cancel flight after 24 hours
- Basic economy- You can’t cancel a flight after 24 hours of booking.
- Refundable tickets- You can cancel and get a refund for the flight before departure. In some cases, you might need to pay the cancellation fee.
- Non Refundable ticket- As the name suggests you won’t get a refund for these tickets. But in some cases, you can apply for travel credit in place of a refund.
- Award ticket- if you used MileagePlus miles for booking and you want to cancel, you can either redeposit the miles or use them for future trips.
Is there an option to cancel a United flight booked with miles?
The flight you booked with miles can easily be canceled. You cancel your United booking by following the steps above or contact the United customer service team and request them to cancel your booking.
If you made the cancellation 31 days or more before the departure date, then there will be no cancellation charges. Your miles will be re-deposited into your MileagePlus account.
How to Request a Refund For a United Cancelled Flight?
Everyone wants a refund after canceling a flight or service. It is important to know how to request a refund on United Airlines if you have canceled United. Below we’ve shared some steps to request a refund from United Airlines.
- Visit https://www.united.com/en/us/refunds
- Fill out the refund form.
- Click on submit.
United Airlines will refund the amount in seven business days to your payment method.
What is United Airlines Cancellation Policy?
Below we’ve shared the United Airlines cancellation policy and some other important things to know before canceling a United flight.
- If you cancel a United flight within 24 hours of booking then you will get a full refund and sometime there will be no cancellation fees.
- You have to buy the ticket from United Airlines so that you can get benefits or United cancellation rules.
- 24 hours starts after you complete your booking.
- Your refund will be credited to your credit card or the payment method.
- Group booking doesn’t fall into this category.
- Vacation plans and bundles don’t fall under this category.
- Tickets booked with e-credit are not eligible for a cash refund.
What are the united cancellation charges?
If you want to know about the cancellation fees, then read the points we’ve shared below.
- There are no charges on the refundable tickets until you cancel your ticket on the day of departure. In that case, you’ll have to pay a cancellation fee.
- For a non-refundable ticket, you have to pay a cancellation fee of 200$ after 24 hours of booking.
- You cannot cancel the basic economy ticket.
- For an award ticket, you need to pay $25 to 125$ as the cancellation charges.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you know the exact date then changing the date is a better option. If not then canceling a flight is a better option.
Yes, you cancel your non-refundable ticket. You can convert the remaining amount to credit for future travel needs.
Yes, If you make the cancellation 31 days before the flight date then you can redeposit the miles into your account.
Yes, you can easily cancel a united flight 24 hours before the departure.
Yes, in some cases (fully refundable tickets) you can get a full refund for a cancelled flight
Yes, you will have to pay 49.50 for one way or $99 for a roundtrip domestic flight. $99.50 for one way and $199 for the round trip international flight.
More helpful guides: