Last Updated on December 5, 2023 by Rick Spiegel
Travel plans may change and passengers might cancel their flight tickets. It can be challenging to understand the cancellation policy and save the money. But, American Airlines provides flexible cancellation policies to travelers. However, how travelers can use these policies for their benefit is still a question. In this guide, we will provide precise information relating to American Airlines Cancellation Policy.
- The cancellation policy of American Airlines applies to both refundable and non-refundable tickets.
- Passengers who have purchased tickets from a third party have to contact the agent for cancellation.
- The cancellation policy will be according to the conditions stated on the ticket.
- If a passenger cancels their flight ticket within 24 hours of booking then it is applicable for a 100% refund.
- According to American Airlines Cancellation Policy, there will be no cancellation fees for Premium Economy and Main Cabin fares on selected domestic and long-haul flights.
- American Airlines 24 Hours Flight Cancellation Policy
- American Airlines Cancellation Policy In Case of Death and Illness
- Cancellation Policy for Various Tickets
- How to Cancel American Airlines Flight Ticket?
- American Airlines Flight Cancellation Fees
- American Airlines Refund Policy
- American Airlines Cancelled Flight Policy
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Does American Airlines have a 24-hour cancellation policy?
- Q. What are the conditions to get a full refund from American Airlines?
- Can I cancel an American Airlines ticket within 24 hours?
- How much time does AA take to process the refund?
- Can I get a refund on my flight if I cancel within 24 hours?
- Is American Airlines Basic Economy refundable within 24 hours?
- Can I cancel my AA flight and get a credit?
- What are the ways to cancel an American Airlines flight booking?
American Airlines 24 Hours Flight Cancellation Policy
After purchasing the ticket travelers have time till flight departure to cancel their booking. However, in the risk-free cancellation period, there are no cancellation charges. The first 24 hours after the booking is known as risk free cancellation period.
- American Airlines passengers can cancel their flight booking within 24 hours after making a reservation. There will be no cancellation charges.
- Moreover, to take advantage of the policy, the flight departure should be at least 2 days ahead.
- American Airlines 24-hour Flight Cancellation Policy is applicable for all fares including Basic Economy tickets.
- Group Bookings do not qualify for American Airlines risk-free period cancellation.
In case of serious health issues or the death of a passenger or a close relative, American Airlines will provide a full refund.
Travelers can contact the AA and seek assistance in this scenario. For non-refundable tickets, travelers will get full travel credits equivalent to their ticket value. On the other hand, refundable ticket owners will get a full refund to the original mode of payment. Flyers will have to submit the medical proof or death certificate later.
Not all fares are equal on American Airlines. The cancellation and refund rules are different according to the fare purchased.
In case the passenger cancels the non-refundable fare, the flight ticket refund will be in the form of a Travel Credit. The credit will be transferred into the passenger’s AAdvantage account. The credit will be valid for one year from the date of issue of the ticket or stated otherwise.
However, if the passenger does not cancel the non-refundable ticket before the flight departure, all the flight fare, including the optional purchases will be lost.
American Airlines Tickets with refund options are a bit more expensive but offer more flexibility in case of changes or cancellations. American Airlines provides you with a full refund on refundable tickets, in place of travel credit for other tickets. According to the American Airlines Cancellation Policy, travelers can cancel any refundable ticket and receive a full refund to their original source of payment.
Basic Economy Tickets are the most strict fare on American Airlines. According to American Airlines Cancellation Policy, Basic Economy tickets cannot be canceled or changed.
Only within the first 24 hours after the booking confirmation, travelers can cancel the Basic Economy tickets.
If you book an American Airlines flight ticket through miles, then in the event of voluntary or involuntary cancellation the reward points will be redeposited into your AAdvantage account. If you cancel a flight ticket you bought with them:
● All Flight routes which are not traveled can be canceled.
● A roundtrip cannot be canceled under this facility.
It is essential for passengers to be aware of the cancellation process. Flyers can use any of the below methods to cancel their booking.
In order to cancel an American Airlines flight ticket online follow the given steps:
● Visit the official website of American Airlines.
● Click on the Manage Trips option.
● A dialog box opens, enter your Flight confirmation number and passenger name.
● Now, click on continue, and the page will open with all your ticket details.
- After that, Click on the cancel button.
- Review the terms and conditions and AA will proceed with the request.
In the following cases, passengers cannot cancel their online AA flight booking:
- If the flight ticket is booked with a coupon or a travel certificate.
- Also, if the return trip originates from a different city than the outbound flight.
- Moreover, travelers have made a special service request (SSR) on their itinerary.
Thus, the passenger needs to contact American Airlines for assistance in this situation.
- Passenger can cancel their American Airlines flight booked offline by contacting American Airlines staff by phone.
- Travelers can call 1-800-433-7300 and make the flight cancellation request.
- Flyers should keep the following information handy.
- Flight confirmation number
- Airplane number
- Travel dates
- Passenger information, including birth date, contact information, etc.
- The executive will inform the flyer about the terms and conditions of the cancellation.
- Passengers can confirm and proceed with the request.
- The executive will cancel the AA flight booking on their behalf and send the confirmation via email.
- Travelers have to log in to their AAdvantage account.
- After that, they can go the the Manage Booking option to access the trip details.
- Now, select the trip and choose the cancellation option.
- Click on the confirm button.
Miles will be deposited back into the AAdvantage account.
- The cancellation fee on AA depends on the route and cabin classes.
- American Airlines does not charge a cancellation fee for Premium Economy and Main Cabin on selected long-haul international flights.
- Also, there are no cancellation charges on some refundable tickets on certain domestic and short-haul flights.
- According to American Airlines Cancellation Policy, if the passenger cancels the booking within 24 hours of purchase, there will be no deductions.
- Also, if passengers provide proof of sickness or death, then they can get a full refund on their booking.
- The cancellation fee varies from $75 to $200.
American Airlines provides the facility to cancel the flight ticket up to departure time. Travelers can request a refund at their convenience.
- In the case of refundable tickets, purchased directly from AA, travelers will get a refund in the original form of payment.
- The airline processes refunds in 7 to 10 business days for credit card payments.
- On the other hand, American Airlines refund will take 20 business days for cash and check purchases.
- According to American Airlines refund policy, non-refundable tickets do not get refund. However, under a few circumstances, AA will provide a refund to the original payment method.
- Cancellation within 24 hours of booking.
- Death or Illness.
- Schedule change of more than 4 hours and you decide to not travel.
- If the scheduled flight departure is within 72 hours and the flight is rescheduled by 90 minutes.
- The refund amount will be equal to the amount minus the service charges and non-refundable taxes.
- According to American Airlines Refund Policy, travelers should submit the refund request within 1 year from the original ticket date.
- Your refund will be equal to the one-way ticket for the portion of your trip that you desire to cancel after a portion of your refundable trip has been taken. This also holds true if American Airlines does not conduct all of your trips as planned.
- If American Airlines is unable to operate, then AA will provide a complete refund for your booking.
- Moreover, if the AA flight is delayed by more than 4 hours, passengers will get compensation in the form of a full refund.
- In the case of the partially used ticket, AA will provide a refund for the remaining value of the ticket.
- All the tickets are eligible for a refund in case of involuntary cancellation including Basic Economy.
Yes, American Airlines has 24 hours cancellation policy. If you buy your ticket at least 2 days prior to the scheduled departure of your flight and cancel it within 24 hours of the flight, then you will not have to pay any cancellation fees. This holds true for all ticket kinds, even those that are non-refundable.
If the following requirements are met, American Airlines will refund your ticket booking fare:
- American Airlines cancels your ticket, and you fill out the refund form;
- You cancel within 24 hours of making your booking, and your flight departure is after 2 days.
- If it is a refundable ticket.
- A family member’s death or a serious sickness prevents you from making it to the airport.
Yes. If the passengers have purchased AA tickets online from the app, the website, by calling the reservations, or from the sales office, then they are eligible to cancel the ticket within 24 hours.
American Airlines take 7 business days to provide refund for purchases through credit/debit cards. On the other hand, travelers have to wait up to 20 business days to provide refunds for cash and check purchases.
If you cancel the American Airlines flight booking within 24 hours of ticket purchase, then you are eligible for a full refund. Both refundable and non-refundable tickets can take this benefit. However, you will get a refund under the condition that flight departure is at least 2 days ahead.
According to American Airlines’ 24-hour cancellation policy, Basic Economy tickets are refundable only if the passenger cancels the ticket within 24 hours of purchase and the flight departure is 2 days away at the time of cancellation.
Yes, travelers with non-refundable tickets can cancel their booking and opt for travel credit. The travel credit is eligible for use for one year from the date of booking. AA will deposit the travel credit back into your AAdvantage account.
American Airlines allow travelers to cancel their flight through various means.
- Online through the Manage Booking option
- Calling the Reservation Desk
- Visiting the sales office
- At the airport counter